Vegan's Day

Jenny's Cafe
Jenny's Cafe

So continuing on with the events of last weekend (man, I'm so behind)... On Sunday, my sister and I returned to Seoul from Cheonan. For dinner, we went to Hongdae and met up with several of our friends from Cali. Most of them are fairly new to Korea and were open to eating anywhere, so I suggested we try out 'Jenny's Cafe' which has long been on my list of restaurants to try out.

Jenny's Cafe

We were the first customers for their dinner service, so that's why the place looks empty. By the time we were eating, all the tables were filled and the restaurant was filled with Sunday evening chatter.

Jenny's Cafe

Apparently, there's also a 'Jenny's Bread' in the same Hongdae area, which is more like a bakery cafe with sandwiches and soups. I haven't gone to that one yet, but one thing at a time, ya? :)

Jenny's Cafe

Here's their kitchen area.

Jenny's Cafe

The bread basket that came with the 'Pizza Party for 2' that my sister and Henee ordered. I ate that hunk of wheat bread in the corner there, which I'm pretty sure was vegan (I didn't ask though...). I also tasted the focaccia bread, which unfortunately, I thought was rather dry and stale in texture. Hm...

Jenny's Cafe

Their margherita pizza. Vegetarian, but not vegan.

Jenny's Cafe

Their accompanying salad of greens, croutons, and some kind of cheese.

Jenny's Cafe

They each got a glass of refreshing mint-lime water.

Jenny's Cafe

Julie and her hubby shared this plate of bruschetta. I'm sure a vegan could ask for them to leave out the cheese. It looks delicious, no?

Jenny's Cafe

Julie's 'Arrabbiata Penne' pasta. I asked if this was vegan and they said that there was a little butter mixed in with the tomato sauce. The sauce is made ahead of time, so it can't be altered. Dangit. Everyone else ordered meat dishes, so we don't have to concern ourselves with what their food looked like. ^^

Jenny's Cafe

The waitress was really helpful in letting me know whether certain dishes were vegan or not. I thought about ordering their olive oil 'Jenny’s Spaghettini' without the anchovies, but opted for their 'Insalata Funghi' (grilled mushroom salad) instead. In the end, I think I made an excellent choice.

Jenny's Cafe

These grilled mushrooms were so juicy, flavorful, and meaty! The sprinkling of chopped almonds was also great in adding some crunchy texture, and the balsamic vinaigrette olive oil dressing at the bottom of the plate was cleanly mopped up by the chunk of wheat bread I stole from my fellow diners' bread basket.

Jenny's Cafe

juuuicy.

Jenny's Cafe

This is a plate of tiramisu that someone ordered. It's not vegan, but it's kinda funky and unique-looking!

Jenny's Cafe

All in all, it was a noteworthy dining experience! I will add though, that this restaurant is on the pricey side. I wouldn't normally pay 13,500 won for a salad, but the quality of clean, fresh food made it worth it for me. Everyone else also really loved everything they ordered, so happy bellies were had all around!

http://jennyscafe.co.kr
English menus available