Vegan's Day

Sunny Days Homemade Burgers @ Itaewon

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Sunny Days has now closed! :( I wish I had supported it more while it was still alive... RIP. (posted 10/23/09)

I can't believe I had never heard of 'Sunny Days' in Itaewon, until very recently from a fellow veg*an friend. My only other restaurant-veggie burger experience in Korea was at Jacoby's Burgers, so when she told me that 'Sunny Days' had tofu burgers, I was all over it! Last Saturday, a handful of us got together to size up their veg-friendly menu, and I have to say, aside from a mixup in my order, I was pretty impressed!

I ordered their Grilled Mushroom sandwich, without cheese, but ended up getting my friend's Grilled Veggie sandwich WITH cheese! We didn't even realize the orders were switched until I noticed that there was a slice of cheese hidden within the layers of veggies and mushrooms! The difference between these two sandwiches seemed pretty non-existent, since they both had grilled veggies and mushrooms. So I just ended up picking out the cheese from my sandwich and giving it to my friend to put on hers. Hehe... it all worked out in the end. The sandwich was delicious and juicy. I especially loved their whole wheat buns, which they bake fresh every day, directly in the restaurant kitchen.

My other friend ordered the Tofu Veggie Burger and we did what he called 'halfsies,' where we split our dishes so that we could both try half of each dish. The tofu burger was good, but we both agreed that the tofu could have more flavor... Maybe they could marinate the tofu longer, or just let the flavors really get in there, as opposed to it just covering the outside of the tofu.

The texture was good though, and heck, I was just too thrilled to be eating a tofu burger in Korea to even care. If I have to choose though, I prefer the veggie sandwich over the tofu burger. It just had more flavor.

The restaurant itself is also really nice, and it attracts a good mix of both Koreans and foreigners. I think it's the perfect spot to grab brunch and catch up with good friends. I am heading back here, no question! And ofcourse, after filling up on good grub, you can head to What The Book and the Foreign Food Mart- the formula for a pretty perfect Saturday.

Here are some snapshots of their menu:

Directions: Itaewon Station, Line #6, Exit 4. When you come out the station stairs, walk straight a few blocks. It will be on your left, right after Starbucks.