Vegan's Day

Chilly? Chili!
chili

Yesterday's lunch was truly a beautiful thing. I made a 2-bean chili based on the 'Classic Black Bean & Veggie Chili' recipe from Isa's newest cookbook, 'Appetite for Reduction.' I bought it while I was in Cali, not because I wanna lose any weight, but just cuz I'm a huge fan of Isa and all her books. The only one I don't own is her very first, 'Vegan with a Vengeance.' Anyway, I had almost all the ingredients for the chili on hand, and I also just happened to have that "corn scone" that I bought at Veggie Holic the other day, so I thought chili would be the way to go. I also added some black-eyed peas to the mix, for a little bean-diversity.

chili

The chili was... perfect. Warm, substantial, nutrient-packed, filling, wholesome, savory with a little bit of spicy heat... what more could you ask for? The only ingredients that I didn't have on me were the zucchini, cilantro, and lime, but it still came out a-okay!

chili

The 'corn scone' from Veggie Holic was also divine. I pretended it was cornbread, although texture-wise, it was more like very dense, slightly chewy pound cake. This was stick-to-your-ribs (and hips, and waist) good. :) I can't wait to get some cornmeal and make my own proper cornbread!

chili

The pieces of whole corn kernals added some fun 'popping' texture and bite.

chili

Although making chili is generally fool-proof, I'm still proud of myself for putting together such a comforting, healthy, and totally delicious lunch (with the help of Isa & Veggie Holic, ofcourse). I haven't cooked myself a proper meal in a long time... Me so happy! Oh, and the chili tasted even better for dinner. ^^