Vegan's Day

Minty Chocolate Cookies

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently picked up this freelance English editing gig with this university program, putting together an official proposal packet. I figured it would be a nice way to make a little extra pocket money for my Paris trip, especially since I don't know whether I'll have a regular income in the near future. Well, I'm kinda kicking myself now because this job is turning out to be a much bigger headache than I thought. I'm sure many of you understand what I mean when I speak of the frustrations of trying to turn Konglish into a cohesive piece of writing with accurate grammar and fluid prose. Aghhghgh. It's been a while since I've gotten THAT frustrated with any editing work. hehehhe. So I had a good rant with my parents and then just decided to go to bed. Well, thankfully, I woke up today and I feel soooo much better and calmer. It's amazing what a good night's rest can do for the soul...

Oh, and just when I thought we were in sweaty summer mode, I awoke this morning feeling cold from the chilly breeze coming through my open window! All I wanted to do was curl up in bed, watch old episodes of 'Parks & Recreation' and forget about everything on my to-do list. I love it when you get these surprise cool days in the middle of summer. And you know what's perfect for these random crisper temperatures, or just for cheering you up after having a mini melt-down?

IMG_1837.jpg

Yeuppp~ Chocolate cookies drizzled with sweet minty glaze! While I love making thin mintz, they are a bit too labor intensive for 'every day cookies' since they require chilling the dough, rolling, cutting, baking, covering in chocolate, chilling again, etc. So instead, to get my cool chocolate-mint fix, I made these easy-peasy cookies which have the same classic flavor combination, yet with far fewer steps.

Minty Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 22 cookies

280g all purpose flour
50g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
100g dark brown sugar
100g regular sugar
1/2 cup soymilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
90g canola oil

Icing
1/2 cup sugar powder
a few tsp of soymilk
a few drops of mint extract

Preheat oven to 350F or 175C
1. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the sugars, soymilk, vanilla extract, and canola oil.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix until everything is well-combined.
4. Roll a spoonful of dough into a ball and slightly flatten on a baking sheet with your palms. Continue with the rest of the dough.
5. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Don't leave them in too long, or the cookies will be rock solid!
6. Prepare the mint glaze by simply combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and mixing with a spoon. Start with 2-3 tsp of soy milk, and add a little more, a few drops at a time, until you get the right consistency. Use a spoon to drizzle over the cookies. If you are patient enough, wait about an hour for the icing to harden before enjoying!

IMG_1858.jpg

The cookies have a good 'bite' to them, but are still a bit soft on the inside. Then the icing glaze provides the refreshing burst of mint flavor. These are great for mellowing you out with comforting chocolate, and yet brightening your bleak mood with a little minty zing.

IMG_1868.jpg

Some boxed goodies ready for shipping.