Vegan's Day

Okara Pancakes

Call me slow, but I finally learned the proper English word for 'biji,' the left over soybean pulp from making tofu: OKARA! Yayyyy~ So now I can sleep peacefully, knowing that I no longer have to keep calling it 'beancurd refuse'. Anyway, I had some okara stored in my freezer and decided to put it to good use. The last time I was in Cheonan, my mum taught me how to make Okara Pancakes, and they were superb, so here is my attempt:

{ Ingredients }
1 1/2 cup of okara
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 onion, finely diced
about 1 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
a pinch of pepper
some water
Oil

{ Method }
1. Put okara, diced peppers, onions, flour, sesame oil, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Depending on how dry or wet your okara is, slowly add some water to the mixture until you have a good consistency, where they won't fall apart in the frying pan.
3. Heat some oil in a pan and then spoon out some of the mixture into the pan and gently shape into flat patties. Don't mess with them too much while they are cooking, or they might fall apart!
4. Once the underside is a nice brown color, flip and cook on the other side.
5. Serve & enjoy!

These are especially yummy served with some hot sauce or even ketchup!