Vegan's Day

Lentil Stoup?
IMG_9654

Lunch today was what I like to call 'comfort in a bowl.' With the chill autumn air creeping in, I've started to crave stews and soups- anything that is hot, hearty, and gets served in a round bowl. I've had a bag of lentils (bought from the FFM) sitting in my cabinet all summer long and it's just been calling out to me, so I decided to cook up some easy lentil soup. It looks more like a thick stew, rather than a watery soup, but that's besides the point. It was yummy.

IMG_9657

{ What you'll need } (serves 2)

1/2 cup lentils (I used red-split lentils)
lots of water (3 cups to start?)
1 carrot, diced
1/2 -1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1/2 cup of diced mushooms (I used shiitake)
1/2 veggie bouillon cube
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sage powder
salt & pepper to taste (I didn't add extra salt, cuz of the bullion cube)

{ Method }
1. Throw everything into a pot and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and leave to simmer until everything is well-cooked and the lentils look like mush (about 30-40 minutes total). Keep checking the water level to make sure it doesn't dry out, and adjust liquid to your desired consistency. That's pretty much it...
2. Serve as is, or with some broken crackers.

IMG_9685

yessss~