Vegan's Day

Applesauce
applesauce

Making my own applesauce has long been something that I have wanted to try, especially because it's not available in Korean grocery stores. I have seen little individual Mott's Applesauce cups at 'Sweet Space' in COEX, but they're just insanely expensive.

It's not apple season anymore, but last week, I passed by a fruit truck that was selling huge bags filled with apples (around 8 big ones) for only 5000won. They're not very sweet, but are perfect for making applesauce or just juicing them along with some carrots or melons. So after some online research on how to make my own applesauce, this is what I did:

{ Ingredients }
3 large apples, chopped into thin slices or dices
1/4 cup of water
1 Tbs brown sugar (optional)
juice & zest from 1 lemon
cinnamon to taste

{ Method }
1. Put chopped apples, water, and lemon juice in a pot, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer
3. Add the sugar & cinnamon
4. Remove from heat once apples are soft and cooked through
5. Blend it all up really well.

The applesauce came out delicious - way better than any commercial applesauce I have ever had. Seriously, homemade is the way to go. I added some brown sugar this time, but I really don't think it's necessary. I also tried to do my own simplified canning, by sterilizing the jar in boiling water, adding the applesauce, and then placing it in a boiling water bath for 20 mins. Worked perfectly! I can't wait for apple season to come again so that I can really go all out with my applesauce canning!

Now I'm going to go bake something using my applesauce in place of oil... :) Yay for low fat baking tricks!