Vegan's Day

Chocolate-Bottom Coconut Macaroons

It's been a while since I posted anything baking-related. Well, when the weather forecast predicts nothing but grey clouds and rain, there's nothing else I'd rather do than lose myself in a cloud of flour and sugar. And what could be better than baking some Chocolate-Bottom Coconut Macaroons to make you forget that it's gloomy monsoon season?

IMG_0982.jpg

These guys have so many things going for them. Not only are they packed with chewy coconut shreds that will make you think you're somewhere sunny and tropical, but they're also dipped in a healthy dose of chocolate. Oh, and you gotta love their bite-sized cuteness!

Chocolate-Bottom Coconut Macaroons
(makes about 20 macaroons)

100g sugar
60g soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

120g dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
90g all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cornstarch

melted dark chocolate, for dipping

Preheat oven to 320F. Mix the sugar, soy milk, vanilla extract, and salt in one bowl, and sift the other dry ingredients in another. Combine the wet with the dry til everything is well-incorporated. The mixture will be quite thick and dense. Use a spoon or your fingers to roughly shape dough into even-sized mounds, placing them on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through. Keep an eye on them to make sure the coconut does not burn- the tops and bottom edges should be lightly browned. Cool on a cookie rack. Once they are cooled, dip in some melted dark chocolate and place on parchment paper for the chocolate to harden. You can place the tray in the fridge to speed up this process, so that you can enjoy them sooner! :)

IMG_0992.jpg

And for those of you who don't have an oven to make these yourself, you can order them from my Bake Shop! :) How could you resist?

IMG_1002.jpg

nummy~~

Ever since I got back from vacation, I've been thinking of lots of ideas for this vegan Bake Shop thing that I have going on on the side, and its future potential... Right now it's just a hobby and a way to share my experiments in vegan baking with you guys, but I would love for it to become something more. So I'm actually in the process of putting together a proper website for my future baking sales! I've also been thinking of all the other items I'd like to add to the menu: cookie bars, biscotti, mint chocolate chip cookies, and pumpkin bread... the list is never-ending. I'm excited for all the baking experiments that will go down, and also for the new website to get set up~

In the meantime though, I do have a question for you peeps in Korea. What do you prefer: Paypal or wire transfers? Ofcourse, I will give people the option to use either method, but I'm just wondering what expats are most comfortable with... I would greatly appreciate your feedback! :)