Vegan's Day

The Foreign Food Mart or Costco
Pure Green Coffee

I recently finished the package of rolled oats that I had brought back with me from the States, so I was in desperate need of replenishing my oats supply. Finding affordable oatmeal can be a bit of a challenge in Korea, as it's not a part of the typical Korean diet. While many Koreans are now eating more 'Western'-style breakfasts, with toast or sugary cereal, many still enjoy rice and kimchi. As much as I love my rice and kimchi, they're not what my stomach craves right after I wake up. I used to just eat fruit or smoothies for breakfast, but I've recently gotten into the habit of eating oatmeal, and I'm loving it.

So where can you find oats in Korea? One option is to hit up the Foreign Food Mart or Costco, where you can find large cylinder containers of Quaker Oats. Unfortunately, it will also cost you an arm and a leg. Another option is to purchase it online (assuming you can navigate your way around the English G-Market site). A 1.19kg container of Quaker Oats will set you back about 12,000won- it's still expensive, but probably cheaper than getting it from an actual store. But if you aren't particular about the brand of oats you eat, you can just order a generic brand (oats that is imported from Canada, but packaged in Korea), for way cheaper. On G-Market you can find packages of 500g for about 3000-3500 won. That's about half the price of Quaker Oats, per gram!

I actually ordered my oatmeal from this baking supply website. These generic oats are less 'rolled' than Quaker Quick Oats, so they're a bit chewier. The texture might not be ideal for eating it cold or straight from the package, but it's delicious when cooked for a few minutes in water or soymilk.

You can also get it from here, another baking site.

So there you have it. I honestly don't know what I would do without my bowl of oatmeal every morning! I go to bed excited about eating it when I wake up. Honest.