Vegan's Day

Seocho Flea Market

So... I've slowly started to pack up all my things, but it seems like the more I try to organize, the messier things get. It's really unbelievable how much junk I've accumulated over the course of 4 years. Argh! I always thought I lived a rather simple life, but apparently that was all in my head because I'm suddenly overwhelmed with my piles of STUFF, and I just want to get rid of it all.

IMG_3090.jpg

So on Saturday, my Korean friend Yunseo and I participated in the weekly Seocho flea market in between Isu and Sadang station. I originally wanted to sell my stuff at the Beautiful Store flea market at Ttuksom Resort station, but the spaces were already filled for that one, and the date for the Platoon flea market didn't work for me either. There are numerous flea markets around Seoul where you can pawn off your used things, but most of them require you to sign up for it, which can be a bit of a hassle. Luckily, Yunseo submitted the application for us on Monday, and then on Thursday, participants were picked by a random lottery, and whaddya know, we got a spot!

IMG_3083.jpg

Early on Saturday morning, I lugged a huge suitcase full of old clothes and knick knacks all the way to the Seocho flea market. Yunseo also brought a bunch of stuff, and together we sold quite a bit! We priced our things ridiculously cheaply though (most things around $1), so it's not like we made a fortune or anything, but it was just a fun experience~~ and ofcourse, I was happy to see some items get passed on to new owners.

IMG_3139.jpg

Yunseo & I

Oh and the sun was scorching hot that day! We got there before 9AM, and it was already burning hot... Good thing we had sunblock, an umbrella for shade, and lots of bottled water and iced coffee! :)

IMG_3094.jpg

Boiled potatoes, nectarines and cucumbers for sustenance.

IMG_3134.jpg

Yunseo and Hyun bought three of my old paintings. I also sold one of my handmade notebooks. :P

IMG_3111.jpg

Here are some other shots from the flea market. Most of the other sellers were ajumas and ajushis, who gather other people's used stuff and sell them there on a regular basis, but there were also several people like us, who just brought their own things from home. There was everything from clothes, shoes, and jewelery, to books, toys, handbags, and hats... I saw several things I wanted to buy, but I didn't get anything because, well, that would defeat the whole purpose of me being there in the first place. I would love to actually shop here sometime though, because you can definitely find good deals, and it's just better for the environment to buy second-hand.

IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3131.jpg
IMG_3118.jpg
IMG_3130.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3125.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg

Even though I was able to unload of a bunch of stuff, I still have more things I want to get rid of, but couldn't take it to the flea market because it was too heavy. So later this week, I am going to donate the rest to Beautiful store.

IMG_3080.jpg

Oh, and I have loads of old magazines that I'd like to hand off... 2 years worth of Adbusters magazines, 1 year of Runner's World, and 1 year of VegNews (claimed ), as well as some ReadyMade (claimed ) and Real Simple (claimed ) mags. If anyone wants to buy any of these, 1,000 won per issue (compared to 11,000 won at 'What the Book?'), please send me an email or hit up my facebook page, and you can come pick it up from me at Gunja station. First come, first serve. Imagine, hours and hours of bedtime (or bathroom) reading!